Watch the recording of the event:
Place: Buildings Pavilion - The Climate Pledge Theatre (Hall 5)
Time: 10:00 - 11:00 GMT
The Programme for Energy Efficiency in Buildings (PEEB) and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) organized this event to discuss the importance of investors in the race to zero for the built environment, and what is needed to shift building investments towards Paris alignment. Change must start from the beginning of the value chain and must be led by the finance sector. Speakers from the French development bank AFD, Mexican housing bank Sociedad Hipotecaria Federal (SHF), venture capital provider Fifth Wall and Laudes Foundation showed best practices highlighting how to shift investments, foster innovation and bring R&D to scale. They advocated for dedicated support for green buildings, ranging from mainstreaming green buildings into the work of development banks, improved regulation and green housing incentive programs to a tech fund for real-estate and the important role of philanthropy. Although buildings impact the environment and the society, the value of the built environment, mainly take in consideration the economic aspect Therefore, It is important to redefine the value of the built environment along with its narrative.
The financial sector plays a crucial role in transforming the built environment into net-zero carbon. Investors and financial institutions are recognizing their significant influence and responsibility for reaching the climate targets of the Paris Agreement in the built environment. However, the “financed emissions” from buildings, covering both operations and embodied carbon from construction, have so far not been adequately managed, accounted for or reported.
The Programme for Energy Efficiency in Buildings (PEEB) and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) invite you to a discussion with doers and thinkers from across the value chain to understand how to lead financial investments towards green buildings.
- Roland Hunziker, Director Sustainable Buildings & Cities, WBCSD, Co-Chair of Global Alliance for Buildings and Construction
- Bertrand Piccard, Chairman of the Solar Impulse Foundation
- Mathilde Bord-Laurans, Head of Climate Change Division, Agence Francaise de Développement (AFD)
- José Lopez, Programme for Energy Efficiency in Buildings (PEEB)
- Edith Castro Bedolla, Sociedad Hipotecaria Federal, Mexico (virtual)
- Brendan Wallace, Co-Founder and Managing Partner Fifth Wall (virtual)
- Kelly Clark, Director of finance and capital market transformation, Laudes Foundation