- Steering Committee & co-chairs
Our Steering Committee provides general direction, guides the GlobalABC Secretariat, proposes the GlobalABC Work Plan and budget to the Assembly, and oversees its implementation, ensures GlobalABC accomplishes its mission and is sustainable, and monitors activities of Work Areas. The GlobalABC Steering Committee’s primary responsibilities fall into five main areas: (1) strategic direction & leadership, (2) governance oversight, (3) communication, (4) resource allocation and mobilisation, and (5) performance assessment.
The Steering Committee also deals with new membership applications, assessing/introducing new initiatives. It consists of 15 members, representing Work Areas and Member constituencies. In accordance, its seats are filled in two steps.Representation of the Work Areas: 5 seats are filled by one Work Area co-chair per Work Area. Representation of member constituencies: 9 seats are filled by Assembly vote, according to the following quota: 5 countries, 1 sub-national government, 1 private sector representative, 1 civil society representative, and 1 intergovernmental organization. In case of underrepresentation of a constituency, an exceptional and non-permanent 16th seat can be opened. It would be valid only until the next election. The seat is subject to GlobalABC Assembly approval.
The Assembly elects 2 Steering Committee co-chairs on an annual basis. At least one of the co-chairs shall be a country. Co-chairs chair Steering Committee debates and represent the GlobalABC overall.
Read more in our governance framework
- Our current Steering Committee
French Republic - Ministry of Ecological and Inclusive Transition (MTES), Yves-Laurent Sapoval. Paris, France. World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), Roland Hunziker. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Canada – Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), Canada.
- French Republic - Ministry of Ecological and Inclusive Transition (MTES) – co-chair.
- Kingdom of Morocco - Ministry of National Planning, Urban Planning, Housing, and City Policy (MHPV).
- Swiss Confederation - Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
- State Agency on Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving (SAEE), Ukraine
Intergovernmental organizations: International Energy Agency (IEA).
- World Resources Institute (WRI).
- German Federal Ministry of the Environment (BMU), Federal Republic of Germany.
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) – co-chair.
- Programme for Energy Efficiency in Buildings (PEEB)/GiZ.
- CUES Foundation.
Private sector enterprises and related networks: LafargeHolcim
Local governments and related networks: ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability.
Civil society, think tanks, and related networks:
- Building Performance Institute Europe (BPIE).
- China Academy of Building Research (CABR).
- World Green Building Council (WorldGBC).
UN Environment as GlobalABC Secretariat host. Paris, France.
- Our Assembly
Our annual Assembly gathers all the GlobalABC members and is as such the primary organ of the GlobalABC; it defines strategic vision, monitors progress and approves and provides updates on Work Areas and Work Plan. It hears and elects the Steering Committee and the Steering Committee co-chairs which will then also act as co-chairs of the Assembly and adopt new statements; it approves any modifications to the present framework on consensus basis.
Due to the current situation with regards to COVID-19, our annual assembly took place in shortened and virtual form, 25-26 March 2021.
- Annual Reports
Our annual narrative reports provide an overview over our activities during the past year. The 2019 annual report is structured around our performance and impact indicators.
- Highlights from our 2019 Annual Report (forthcoming)