World Resources Institute invites you to attend the webinar - How to Jump-start and Finance a Just Transition on 11 October 2022, 9:30 - 10:30 am EDT (15:30 - 16:30 pm CEST).
The world needs to shift away from fossil fuels fast — but how can we do it without leaving any workers or communities behind? This issue should be a major point of discussion at the COP27 climate summit in November, but how countries implement and fund a just transition remains a key question.
This webinar will share insights from just transition efforts in various stages of development worldwide, including in:
- South Africa, which recently adopted a just transition framework that should inform the Just Energy Transition Partnership (an $8.5 billion offer from several developed countries to support a transition in the country);
- India, which is exploring possible pathways to ensure a just transition as it ramps up renewable energy capacity; and
- the United States, which will need further steps to ensure a just transition as the Inflation Reduction Act is poised to accelerate the country away from fossil fuels and toward renewable energy and greater energy efficiency.
The webinar will also explore how funding — both international and domestic — is required to kick off this crucial transition.
- Dr. Crispian Olver, Executive Director of South Africa’s Presidential Climate Commission
- Ulka Kelkar, Climate Director of WRI India
- Dr. Cecilia Martinez, Principal Advisor for the Bezos Earth Fund (and former Senior Director of Environmental Justice at the White House Council on Environmental Quality)
- Lila Karbassi, Chair of the SBTi Executive Board and Senior Programme Officer of Science-Based Target Setting at the United Nations Global Compact
- Adriana Lobo, Managing Director of Global Presence and National Action, World Resources Institute
This event will be hosted in English with simultaneous interpretation in Spanish and French.