The World Circular Economy Forum (WCEF) 2023 will take place from 30 May to 2 June in Helsinki, Finland. WCEF 2023 will provide a unique opportunity to create momentum for a nature-positive future. The Forum will present a focused agenda and harness our collective energies on accelerating the needed transition over the coming years, showcasing global change makers and building the capacity to collaborate. The GlobalABC is actively engaging with some WCEF sessions and will be participating in person in the Forum.
Building blocks for a circular future: trends, policies and solutions
- WCEF 2023 main event
- Date/time: 31 May 2023, 10:30–11:45 EEST
- Venue: Messukeskus (Messuaukio 1, Helsinki)
- Open to: WCEF participants
- Register for online participation here
Circularity provides multiple benefits for the built environment, but the construction sector is slow to change. What drivers and practices work best? The global appetite for new building materials remains high, which results in a large footprint of the sector. How can we extend the life of buildings, ensure that we close the loop and allow new building materials and methods access to the market? This session explores global resource trends and developments in policy and solutions that will put us on the road towards a circular and nature-positive future.
Building a Circular Environment
- WCEF 2023 accelerator session
- Date/time: 1 June 2023, 9:00-15:00 EEST
- Venue: Pankkisali, Aleksanterinkatu 7, Helsinki
- Open to: WCEF participants and GlobalABC Assembly participants
- Register here
As we all have heard, the construction industry uses up to 40% of the raw materials used in the EU. Therefore, involving the industry is paramount in achieving circularity. This seminar on material consumption and circularity in the construction and real estate sector aims to provide answers to the concrete issues facing the industry. What is stopping us from achieving fully circular business models? How could the industry be nudged to innovate and build a circular environment? This session has been designed to complement the World Circular Economy Forum 2023 main session focused on construction. Our session aims to go deeper and wider than what is possible in the scope of the main sessions.
The event will consist of two parts: a fully hybrid morning seminar highlighting the best practices in circular construction globally including latest academic findings in the area and industry commentary. We will also integrate fresh views on the topics by cooperating with the Closing Loops initiative. Through our workshop we aim to identify concrete solutions and roles in solving challenges hindering the circular transition in the Nordics, share practical examples and push us collectively from why to how.
We have a strong belief in international cooperation and hope the morning seminar will inspire us to think outside the box and the afternoon workshop will enable us to bounce ideas with peers from similar markets. The event is designed as a part of the Nordic Networks for Circular Construction project, an initiative founded by the Nordic Council of Ministers.
- 9:00 Opening words by Juhani Damski, Permanent Secretary of the Finnish Ministry of the Environment
- 9:00 Buildings Breakthrough
- 9:30 Seminar session 1 – Enhancing knowledge and data management for enabling circularity in buildings and construction
- 10:45 Seminar session 2 – Sharing experience from implementing circularity in Buildings and Construction
- 12:00 Closing the Seminar
- 12:30 Break for Lunch
- 13:30 Afternoon Workshop – Concrete Solutions to Facilitate Circularity in the Nordics hosted by the Nordic Networks for Circular Construction