Organized by Nigerian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (NIQS) and Green Building Council of Nigeria (GBCN), the overarching lesson from this course is the critical importance of adopting an integrated and holistic approach to carbon measurement and management in the built environment. It highlights the need for understanding and managing carbon emissions throughout all stages of a building's life cycle, from material extraction to demolition and disposal. The course emphasizes the importance of standards and frameworks for accurate, consistent carbon assessments, underlining the role of sustainable design, construction, and operation in reducing the carbon footprint of buildings. This comprehensive approach is essential for mitigating climate change impacts associated with the construction, operation and deconstruction of buildings. The course if offered by Green Building Council Nigeria in collaboration with the Nigerian Institute of Quantity Surveyors.
The course is designed to equip professionals with practical tools and strategies to manage the carbon footprint of buildings. Participants will:
- Explore the relationship between carbon emissions and global warming, focusing on the contribution of the built environment to global emissions.
- Learn about carbon and the building lifecycle, including embodied and operational carbon, and their significance in building design and operation.
- Examine various strategies for reducing carbon emissions in buildings, such as reuse and retrofit, use of low carbon materials, efficient design, and construction practices.
- Delve into the principles of carbon management, its objectives, and the step-by-step process for performing carbon assessments according to global best practices.
- Module 1: Understanding Carbon in Buildings
- Module 2: Carbon Management Principles
- Module 3: Carbon Management Practice
- Module 4: Course Wrap-up & Assessment
Who Should Attend
This course is for professionals seeking the knowledge and skills to effectively manage carbon emissions in building projects, contributing to the global efforts in combating climate change, such as architects, project managers, construction managers, engineers, cost consultants, sustainability consultants, developers, policymakers, regulators, and students in these fields seeking to specialize in sustainable practices. It would also be of interest to other sector stakeholders interested in decarbonization of the built environment and seeking to broaden their skill set.
How to Register
Please see the course flyer for information on course fees and instructions on how to register and make payment for the course. Upon successful registration, our team will send you sign in details and further instructions via email.
Course Assessment & Certification
At the conclusion of the course, participants will be required to complete an assessment to evaluate their understanding of the course material. Successful participants will be awarded Green Building Council Nigeria’s "Certified Carbon Assessment Professional " certificate.