Date of the event: 28 June
Time: 12:00 - 13:30
With 4 months to go ahead of COP26, London Climate Action Week creates an open space for London’s unique and world leading array of climate organisations, professionals and sectoral actors to come together to find practical solutions to climate change.
The High-Level Climate Champions will open this London Climate Action Week with a climate ’town hall meeting’ - Get Net Zero Right - a flagship event holding a frank conversation with leading civil society voices and key net zero initiatives on the need to get net zero right rather than get rid of it.
Recognising the urgency of climate action and the increasing scrutiny of climate commitments by non-state actors, this event will reflect on the history of net zero, debate the current credibility challenges with non-state climate action, and explore the future of net zero efforts ahead of COP26 and beyond.
The event will be moderated by environmental correspondent Fiona Harvey, who will be joined by leading climate experts including:
- Prof. Laurence Tubiana, CEO, European Climate Foundation
- Farhana Yamin, Lawyer, Author, Activist, Expert Adviser to Climate Vulnerable Forum
- James Dyke, Assistant Director, Global Systems Institute, University of Exeter and co-author of Net zero is a dangerous trap
- Richard Black, Honorary Research Fellow, Imperial College London and co-author of Net zero: despite the greenwash, it's vital for tackling climate change
- Jennifer Morgan, Executive Director, Greenpeace International
- Professor Tom Hale, Associate Professor in Public Policy, Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford and chair of UN Race to Zero independent Expert Peer Review Group
- Tzeporah Berman, Adjunct Professor of Environmental Studies at York University, International Program Director at Stand.Earth, and Chair of the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty Initiative
- Nigel Topping, UN High Level Climate Champion for UK, COP26
- Gonzalo Munoz, UN High Level Climate Champion for Chile, COP25
In addition to this event, the UN High Level Climate Champions are opening a Public Consultation on the Future of Race to Zero on Wednesday June 23 2021 at 17:00 – 18:00 BST.
This process, driven by the High-Level Champions on Climate Action and all the Race to Zero Partners, will explore how to drive cooperation and coordination within the climate action ecosystem to leverage different non-State actors’ capacities and expertise with a view to ensure the implementation of robust climate action based on credible net-zero targets.
This session will open a 10-week period for written-submissions on specific questions to be outlined during this consultation. The written submission form will be made publicly available directly after the briefing.